PeNoWriMo

Because of an old friend and NaNoWriMo, I'm finally going to force myself to write a novel. In case you aren't familiar with NaNoWriMo, it stands for "National Novel Writing Month." It is a sort of contest every year which challenges procrastinating writers to write a 50,000 word (175-page) novel. The challenge starts November 1st and runs until midnight of November 30. An excerpt from the site:
Valuing enthusiasm and perseverance over talent and craft, NaNoWriMo is a novel-writing program for everyone who has thought fleetingly about writing a novel but has been scared away by the time and effort involved.

But, instead of waiting a couple months for someone else's arbitrary date, I am challenging myself with my own Personal Novel Writing Month (I just made that up). I am starting today, Friday August 12th, and I will have until Sunday, September 11 to write 50,000 words.

I've attributed part of this self-challenge to a friend because he had the chutzpah to take the NaNoWriMo challenge in 2004. His success has inspired me to do this.

I am the worst procrastinator. If you look up procrastination in the dictionary, you won't find my picture: I haven't gotten around to submitting the updated definition. I have all kinds of free time and I waste it playing games, surfing, and fooling around with hobbyist-level crap on the computer. Can you hear me, Me? I will never be a professional 3D modeler. I will never be an overpaid graphic artist. I will never live in a cube farm programming in any of a dozen computer languages. I will not receive a paycheck for playing World of Warcraft. I will not become the next Richard Garriott or Brad McQuaid.

I might someday, however, be able to make a living writing. So, I am going to stop screwing off on meaningless dilettantism and damn the fucking torpedoes.

That's all, time to get to work.
JKH

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slacker weekend, productive Monday

I don't watch TV